Monday, April 30, 2012

50 Followers

I got my 50th Follower a couple of days ago.  As Sally Field famously said in her acceptance speech for her second Oscar, “I want to say ‘Thank you’ to you. […]  And I can't deny the fact that you like me … right now … you like me!  Thank you.”

Actually…Sally?  Can you come here a second?



(One of the most misquoted quotes in film history, by the way – she never says “You like me!  You really do!”  It’s right there with “Play it again Sam” and “Do you feel lucky”.  The difference here is that it was a real speech.)

I would have reached this milestone sooner, but a few months ago I had one Follower who joined and then removed themselves a couple days later.  I felt like doing the Robin Williams routine from one of his comedy shows (Live at the Met, I think).  He saw someone in the audience get up and start to walk out.  He cried out, “Wait!  Come back!  I can be funnier.  I promise!”

My guess is that I either wrote something that offended this person, or because I had not yet had a chance to check out their blog and become a Follower they cut me off.  It was okay; I only cried myself to sleep for the first few nights.

While 50 isn’t that big a number compared to most blogs I follow, I honestly never thought I’d have anywhere near that many.  I’m not on any social media, so I don’t attract any attention that way.  People find my posts either by following links that other bloggers put up (many thanks!), or because my comments on other blogs attract their attention enough to check out what else I have written.  I actually get a lot more traffic from Google searches than I expected, but I don’t know that I’ve picked up too many Followers from it.

Anyway, my thanks to everyone who takes to time to read my thoughts on movies and other topics.  I appreciate it.

8 comments:

  1. Congrats, Chip! It's a cool milestone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on reaching 50, Chip, this was a really amusing post, by the way ( : My next milestone will be 100 followers!
    I've had that too, someone following, and then "un-following". I guess we must accept affection where it is offered, rather than pursue it where it is denied.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Already 51 and still counting! Congrats! I've been stuck at 53 for a while now! Many blogs that I follow have 400+ plus followers and it used to get me anxious that my member count didn't rise that quick...
    However, I honestly think that it is more important to have feedback by comments than a number of followers.
    Keep the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! You deserve more than 50 followers! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy to have discovered your blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Dan, Chris, Michael Parent, Sati., and Alex Withrow - Thanks! I enjoy all of your blogs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michael is right that feedback by comments is more important than the number of followers but well done on reaching 50!
    I'm sure it won't be long before you're into three figures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Paul S - Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete