Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Movies That Could Never Be Made Today

“They don’t make ‘em like they used to.” – Lament from every person who’s gotten old enough to dislike the current movies, shows, plays, books, music, games, etc. that are coming out today.

Over the years there have been movies made that for one reason or another could never be made today.  Usually that reason is that the subject matter is one that modern audiences would not want to pay money to go see.  Sometimes it is not the subject matter, but the way it is treated that would cause offense.  In both cases studios would simply avoid giving the go ahead for these kinds of movies nowadays because they don’t want the controversy, nor to lose money.

For this category I’ve got movies about circus freaks, a relationship between a stepfather and his teenage stepdaughter, and a dark comedy about teen suicide.

As I post the reviews, I will come back and add links here for those posts:
On to the reviews…

10 comments:

  1. Tod Browning's Freaks, perhaps? Sounds like an intriguing theme. Looking forward to reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Freaks I guessed. Heathers, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we've got two of the three. I'll be seriously impressed if anyone guesses the third.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Nope, but nice try. Lolita actually did get remade in the late 90s. My choice is a more controversial film than that because of the way it is presented. Think "foreign film". (It's not that well known, which is why I said I didn't expect anyone to guess it.)

      Delete
  4. Interesting series Chip! I'll be back to read your reviews! Freaks is great and I haven't seen Heathers. I don't know the third...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I hope my posts live up to the anticipation.

      Delete
  5. This is such a cool idea for a series. Can't wait to read the posts, Chip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know, I only picked this category because it had the right number of reviews for me to do to finish it before my 500th post, but it seems to be one of the more popular ones I've done for quite a while.

      Delete